Monday 5 March 2012

Bog Paintings

Here are some more of my Bog paintings. These ones formed part of an exhibition during 'Bog week' last Summer. This is a fantastic week long festival held in Letterfrack, which is a short distance from Clifden. It is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate our Boglands through music and art, a kind of pagan thanksgiving for residents and visitors.




This piece is based on the Bog road between Clifden and Roundstone village, with the 'Twelve Bens' mountain range shadowing in the distance.
I wanted to describe the richness of the bog colours here when the grasses are turning golden. I contrasted these rusts and golds ( I love using metallic paint! ) with the turquoise blues of the bog water. I've used lots of dark blue and green here too, so that it almost appears black. I wanted to give the effect of depth and shadow in the central pool to evoke a watery darkness in the piece which I sometimes get a sense of when walking in this place.






I've taken a slightly more literal approach here when describing the cut bog and the grasses. I've used lots of gold paint and ink to add a richness to the colours.




This painting is more of an imagined kind of place. I liked the way the broken down fence structure in the back ground gave it an abandoned feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment